Monday, December 1, 2008

Jerash or Why I Love Sunsets

Sunset in Jerash.

Recently I had the opportunity to travel to Jerash, one of the cities of the ancient Decapolis. Talk about a breathtaking place. There are a multitude of Roman ruins to be seen there. The city is located in a very mountainous area and is surrounded on all sides by olive groves. I'm told that the view from up in the olive groves is very reminiscent of a Mediterranean country village, but since I've no experience with Mediterranean villages I'll just have to take their word for it. I believe the phrase "Tuscan-like views" was used. It was indeed beautiful.

Of course, I took pictures. Since I recently featured ancient Roman architecture on my blog, I thought I'd rather choose a different point of focus. If you're interested in seeing the ruins, check out this site. I was quite fascinated by the olive groves and the views down into the city, so that's what I have a lot of. I tended to favor extremely wide angles for most of the pictures because I wanted to really capture the sense of wide open grandeur that the Jerash scenery gave. Additionally, I really love sunsets and Jerash offered up some great ones while I was there. I apologize if you the reader feels I went overboard with the sunset pictures, but I couldn't help myself haha.


This is a view down into Jerash. I love how open the expanse is.



Great sunset over the hills of Jerash.



A wide shot of an olive grove. The sky was really that blue.



The view from my hotel down into Jerash.



This was a shot from the bus as we were driving away from Jerash.



Random street in Jerash.



Yet another beautiful sunset over the hills.



This was the hotel that I stayed at. It was in the middle of a bunch of olive groves.



I typically steer clear of black and white since it's so overused, but I think it compliments this wide shot of an olive grove nicely. And strangely it reminds me of the Grapes of Wrath...



2 comments:

Nina said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! I always love looking at your pictures. =0)

RockWay said...

I always love looking at them, when YOU're in them. =)