But that's NOT what I want. My goal from day one has been to blend in with and embrace the culture around me. That's not to say that I don't enjoy food that reminds me of home (we fixed mexican food today and it was great), but I mostly want to eat the food that the locals eat.
So, I thought today I might share about some of the foods that I eat regularly here. One of my favorite foods has been falafel sandwiches. You can find little stands and shops selling these throughout the city. And they are quite good. Each place makes them slightly differently, but the gist is the following:
Take a piece of bread (typically arabic flat bread)
Insert freshly made falafels
Smear in some hummus
Smush up the falafels
Spoon in some sauce made with chunks of tomatos
Add any desired extras (I like peppery hot sauce and french fries thrown in)
Close up and enjoy
Falafel sandwiches are cheap and delicious. I can buy 3 for about $1. And there's a stand that's only about a five minutes walk from my house; I can essentially get them whenever I want. Superb.
Also, instead of going to the huge grocery store on the other side of town I usually just walk to a local store that's about 10-15 minutes away. The selection isn't as large, but I find it's just fine.
On the way I pass several fruit and vegetable stands. At this point I've learned which are the good ones and which are not so good. I have my favorite one that I walk to probably twice a week to buy dates, bananas, and pomegranates. The pomegranates here are superb! Oh my gosh. They are so sweet, and extremely red in color. I usually peel an entire pomegranate and put the seeds in a bowl, and then add plain yogurt. Fresh pomegranate and yogurt is hard to beat.
Doesn't that look amazing?Also, I buy hummus and pistachios from various other stands and vendors. The hummus here is different than anything I had in the US, but it's very good. The food has been very kind to my stomach, and it hasn't made me sick once. I really was fearing having to be super careful with my food, but so far nothing has bothered me at all. I just hope it stays that way.
By the way, if you've never had a pomegranate, I REALLY recommend that you go out to a store and find one. Surely some organic grocery store has some you can try that would be like the ones I get here. They are so good. And as far as how to eat them, you just cut it open and pull out the little red pulpy seeds and eat them whole. Don't eat the white membranous skin separating the seeds as it is horribly bitter. I promise, pomegranates are extremely good.
By the way, if you've never had a pomegranate, I REALLY recommend that you go out to a store and find one. Surely some organic grocery store has some you can try that would be like the ones I get here. They are so good. And as far as how to eat them, you just cut it open and pull out the little red pulpy seeds and eat them whole. Don't eat the white membranous skin separating the seeds as it is horribly bitter. I promise, pomegranates are extremely good.


5 comments:
So, I love the "Look how happy I am when I eat falafels" photo! I would love to try one! They look delish! Also, I have never had a pomegranate, and I will now go out and get one. They look quite tasty as well. Not too many blogs make me hungry, but yours definitely does! Happy Adventurous Eating!
You'll definitely have to let me know what you think of the pomegranate when you try it. And yes, that's how happy I am when I eat falafels haha.
Hey Andrew -- Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas!! I hope you have had a great day, and aren't missing home too much. We are thinking of you often and love to keep up with you on the blog.
Kathy Sellers
mmm i love falafel sandwiches. sounds like things are going well!
pomegranates are my one of my favorite fruits!!! I'll have to try it with the yogurt.
Post a Comment