Sunday, October 25, 2009

Europe in Pictures - Louvre

So, here I am. I'm finally back and ready to post pictures on my blog from the trip. I've been back in the Middle East for nearly a month, but I've been hesitant to post on my blog. Partly because I have so many pictures from the trip that it's kinda daunting to try to decide where to start. I took over 2000 pictures, so I'll do my best to only put up the best. That said, be prepared for many, many pictures over the next few weeks.

Today's group shows the first day or so in Paris. My parents and I started with the Louvre and spent half the day there. Here we go:


This first picture comes from the first night in Paris. We decided to drive around the city just to check it out. We get lost. Alot. But the experience was good. We found this cathedral and just walked around this section of the city for a while. This was the first picture I took of the trip.



The next day, we went to the Louvre. More than anything else, I really wanted to see the Winged Victory of Samothrace. Luckily for us it was literally the first thing we stumbled upon. Entirely by accident. It was impressive.



The first thing you notice about the Louvre is its immense size. It's intimidating from the outside, but the inside even more so. There's so much are to look at inside that it's hard to know where to begin. This is one section of one floor of one hall of one of the buildings. Crazy, I know.




One of the coolest pieces I saw in the Louvre was actually a double sided painting. It depicted David cutting off Goliath's head after defeating him. If you looked at one side you saw the front angle; if you looked at the reverse side you saw the back angle. Very neat.


We found the Mona Lisa room. But honestly, it was the painting on the opposite wall which really amazed me. I mean look at just how big this painting is! It was gigantic and incredibly detailed.



We also saw alot of sculpture. And I do mean alot. Just look at how full this room is. It was just one room. My dad loved the sculpture whereas I more preferred the paintings.



This is my mom "admiring" what I think is one of the Code of Hammurabi pillars. I can't remember. (I actually think she was yawning, but I like to think she was so amazed that her jaw is dropping.)


Very Big Head. Need I say more?


This statue of a naked green man killing a nasty snake was interesting. Don't you think?



Here I am posing near the Egyptian art section.



While in the Egypt section we had to check out a tomb that had been transported in entirety from Egypt to the Louvre. It was very neat. Here you can see my parents pretending to be mummies.



The last picture is the of Venus DeMilo. This statue is probably one of the most if not the famous statue in the Louvre. It didn't fail to impress. I can't even imagine making something like this out of something like play doh, let alone solid stone.

So that's it for today. More to come.

No comments: