So I know it's been a long time since my last post; for that I am sorry. But here I am with the first part of a multi part picture entry. I got to go to Petra recently. And yes it was amazing. Being told how amazing it was in advance, I was still blown away with how just mind bogglingly outrageous it was. It's hard to put into words. Hopefully my pictures will tell a better story. And yeah, it was pretty cool to be where they filmed Indiana Jones....haha.For those of you who aren't familiar with Petra, it's one of the Seven Modern Wonders of the World, and considered as impressive by many accounts as the Taj Mahal. It's huge and mighty impressive. Apparently, the ancient Nabatians who lived here thousands of years ago carved these structures straight out of the rock cliffs. Some were used directly for shelter whereas others carried more religious significance. It's crazy to see just how perfectly done the buildings are. And they are massively big.
While on the way, we drove by a few signs like the one above. I had to get a picture with it. I mean how many chances will I really get to pose with a "camel crossing" sign?
This was the view before descending down into the town of Wadi Musa which is the city bordering Petra.
Here is the obligatory Indiana Jones mooching at the entrance. I knew Indy had a gift shop, but snacks and coffee?? He's branched out!
This was the first rock carving we came upon.
This is where we first entered the canyons leading to everything...
I love how the locals are just chilling while we marvel at everything.
Passing by one of the many horse drawn Bedouin carriages.
The canyons that we walked through were amazing.
This is right before we rounded the corner to walk out and see....
The incredible Treasury building!
I made friends with this camel.
See? He really liked me. (Meaning he didn't spit at me.)
I also made friends with these Bedouin guards. I was pretty envious of their cool outfits. I still am actually.Don't worry, I have several other posts on the way showcasing more of Petra, the people there, and their animals. Also, we did some climbing. More to come.
By the way! For those of you who haven't realized this yet, you can CLICK on the pictures to pull up a bigger version to view. Enjoy!
By the way! For those of you who haven't realized this yet, you can CLICK on the pictures to pull up a bigger version to view. Enjoy!
3 comments:
The carvings are absolutely beautiful. I am so jealous! Keep up the blogging, I am loving the pictures and stories.
Wow! I am so jealous! I really really want to see Petra one day! It look amazing just by the pictures, I can't imagine looking at it in real life. What a great opportunity! Thanks for sharing the pictures:)
Amy~
If Jefferson is a Manatee...then who would that make the Camel???
AWESOME PHOTOS! by the way...
Post a Comment